1. When is the tax season period?

Answer: Tax season is normally from January 15th to April 15th and can be extended by a day or two if the 15th lands on a weekend or a holiday.

2. Do you e-file?

Answer: Yes, e-file is now required under the State of California Franchise Tax Board.

3. Can I file an extension?

Answer: Yes, you can use Form 4868 and it is valid until October 15th.

4. Can I use a dependent that lives in another country (such as Mexico) if I send them money?

Answer: Yes, you would need to apply for what they call an ITIN number.

5. For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?

Answer: In certain circumstances, you do not have to claim the child as a dependent to qualify for head of household filing status; for example, a custodial parent may be able to claim head of household filing status even if he or she released a claim of exemption for the child.

6. What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?

Answer: It depends on the type of mistake that you made. Many mathematical errors are caught in the processing of the tax return itself so you may not need to correct these mistakes. If you did not attach a required schedule, the IRS will contact you and ask for the missing information. If you did not report all of your income or did not claim a credit, you should file an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

When filing an amended or corrected return: Include copies of any schedules that have been changed or any Form W-2 you did not include. File 1040X only after you have filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file form 1040X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever came later. Please allow the IRS 8-12 weeks to process an amended return.

7. How long does it take to get my refund?

Answer: If your tax return was filed electronically, please allow 2-4 weeks for it to be either direct deposited into your account or mailed to your address.

8. How old does my son/daughter have to be in order for me to claim them?

Answer: Your son or daughter has to be 18 years old or younger an/or under 23 and going to school.

9. How much is the Child Tax Credit?

Answer: Up to $2000 per child.

10. I retired last year and started receiving social security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my social security benefits?

Answer: Social security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor, and disability benefits. They do not include supplemental security income (SSI) payments, which are not taxable. The amount of social security benefits that must be included on your income tax return and used to calculate your income tax liability depends on the total amount of your income and benefits for the taxable year.